Tuesday, November 11, 2008

An introduction.

I am a student at GVSU. I am enrolled in the education at Grand Valley. The program has been recognized for being a strong and effective program. It is a five year program and prepares students to become the best teachers they can become.
I am in my second year at GVSU and in the education program. This semester has been full of tutoring opportunities. My first semester was just education classes, there was nothing outside the classroom. I did enroll in the MPower program and mentor two 6Th graders at Burton Middle School. Other than that there was no working with students. This semester has been the opposite. I tutor in ENG 308 as well as MTH 222. In my opinion, it is amazing that we are put in the position of teaching earlier on in the program as appose to just observing until student teaching.
My tutoring has been so much fun. I tutor two students at Taft Elementary in reading. When I first heard about the tutoring I was nervous. What was I going to do? Did I have to come up with activities? How was I going to teach these students to read? Then I was introduced to Reading Strategies by YOPP and YOPP. This text book is a bible for elementary teachers, teaching literacy. The book is full of activities to do with students to get them engaged in reading. There are pre-reading, during reading, and post-reading strategies. If a teacher is having a hard time coming up with a lesson plan for his or her literacy block the Yopp and Yopp book has everything you need. When I graduate I will still have this book and when I get my first job in the classroom this book will be at my desk.

http://www.gvsu.edu/coe/

This is a link to the College of Education's website. It will tell you about the well regarded program, as well as, allow you to browse the page and learn more about the program.

No comments: